Foundation Pharmacists training
We offer 3 placements (2 x 12-month hospital placements and 1 x 9-month hospital placement plus 3-month GP placement)
Our exciting foundation training programme is based primarily at Southend University Hospital, but includes placements with a local community pharmacy and our local clinical commissioning group. Experience in medicines information and mental health is gained through shadowing experienced pharmacists in nearby hospitals.
Trainees will receive structured training through a variety of areas including experience in patient services (dispensary), clinical ward services, technical services, purchasing and quality assurance.
From an early stage in the foundation training year, we provide opportunities for our trainees to participate in the ward-based clinical services team, which has responsibility for medicines management within the Trust. This enables trainees to combine clinical knowledge and pharmacy practice and work both independently and with other colleagues.
Throughout the training year, our trainees will be given small tasks and goals to help enable them to reach their full potential. They will also benefit from the support of their named tutor as well as a number of pharmacists/technicians with many years combined knowledge and experience. Trainees attend dedicated tutorials, provided in conjunction with neighbouring hospitals and community pharmacies. They also have regular visits from a UEA placement supervisor.
Our overall aim is to help our trainees to grow and develop into confident, competent, patient focused practitioners.
If you want to work in a modern, forward thinking, busy but friendly environment why not come and join our lovely team!!!
Summary of Rotational Programme
The trainee will be fully supported in the dispensary and receive adequate training in all areas as follows:-
• Prescription receipt and collection
• The assembly of prescribed items (including the generation of labels) for inpatients and outpatients.
• Ordering, receiving and storing to-follow prescriptions
• Ordering and recording controlled drugs
• Handing out prescriptions and counseling patients as appropriate.
Medicines Management (MM)
The department aims to provide the trainee with comprehensive training on medicines reconciliation and develop the following:-
• Drug history taking
• Sources of information
• Good quality accurate documentation
• Consultation skills.
The trainee will develop clinical skills by:-
• visiting a range of wards of with experienced pharmacist
• Shadow senior pharmacists on consultant led ward
• Sit in on various specialist clinics
• Attend and contribute to in house teaching sessions
Other rotations that the trainee will undertake include:-
• Medicines information for 1 week
• Mental Health for 1 week
• Cross sector community placement for 4-6 weeks
• Technical services/quality assurance for 2 weeks
• Clinical commissioning group for 2 weeks
• In house project for 1-2 weeks
Additional training and development
Trainees will be expected to attend:-
• University of East Anglia foundation training programme
• Local foundation training tutorial sessions run by Southend, Basildon and Mid-Essex hospitals
• In house teaching sessions
If you would like a printable PDF about this hospital then you can download a PDF leaflet here.
For more information or to arrange an informal visit contact:
Dilusha Ghoshdastidar – email@example.com
The Pharmacy department
Our pharmacy department is made up of approximately 70 people focussed on delivering a safe and efficient medicines service to our patients.
We continuously evolve our processes to ensure we meet the demands of our patients and hospital staff in delivering high standard medicines management services.
We offer a wide range of services including:
• Ward-based clinical services
• Dispensary Services
• Specialist Cancer Service
• Quality Assurance
For more details visit: http://www.southend.nhs.uk/your-services/pharmacy/
Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust maintains almost 700 inpatient beds, serving a local population of 338,800. Located in the popular seaside town of Southend, the Trust offers a range of services including medical, cancer, diagnostics and therapeutics. Staff patient focused, friendly, caring and supportive of each other. At Southend Hospital we strive to provide high quality care for every patient, every time.
Southend University Hospital
Site: Southend Hospital
Contact details: Dilusha Ghoshdastidar – firstname.lastname@example.org
All band 6 pharmacist posts at this hospital are advertised on: https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/